Today we are eating fresh, healthy food from Greece. Sparkling sea the colour of pale sapphires, bright sunshine and the smell of tanning oil, I was 13 years old on a family holiday to the Greek island of Skiathos. Each day I had lunch from a beach café, well I say café but it was more like a wooden hut. A dollop of Greek yogurt, topped with half a canned peach, dripping with runny honey, I can taste it as I write this! That is definitely going to be the dessert as I can’t find any baklava (hardly an essential but it does taste delicious). Baklava is the pastry made with nuts and honey that was a treat from my childhood, my father would buy it in London and bring it home to Sussex on a Friday night, pieces were allocated so each member of the family had an equal share, it was a diplomatic way to protect us from a family argument!
Selection of Greek foods, feta & olive salad, homemade hummus, charcoal chicken kebabs with Greek yogurt/peaches/honey dessert.
1 x can of chick peas
3 dessert spoons of tahini – I couldn’t get this so instead used Greek yogurt,
Juice from 1 lemon or equivalent lemon juice from a bottle
Salt and pepper
½ cucumber chopped
20 cherry tomatoes left whole
4 x tomatoes, cut into chunks
Small jar or can of black olives
Block of feta cheese, cut into small chunks
Charcoal chicken kebabs (from frozen department of the supermarket)
4 x pitta breads
½ can of peaches in juice
1 carton 0% fat Greek yogurt
- To make hummus. Place the chick peas, tahini or yogurt, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a blender. Blend until it becomes a paste, use extra water if its too thick. If you like it spicy add paprika. Place in bowl and dust with small amount of paprika to serve.
- Bake charcoal chicken kebabs according to instructions.
- To make feta and olive salad. Combine lettuce, cucumber, 4 large tomatoes cut into chunks, olives and chunks of feta cheese.
- Place cherry tomatoes into a separate dish, and toast pitta bread for a few minutes on a low setting in the toaster.
- Place kebabs in a dish.
- Use medium size dish, place Greek yogurt on the bottom, line peach slices on top and drizzle with honey.